What is a safari:
Our safaris are hands-on nature photography workshops conducted in Acadia National Park and led by Howie Motenko, a local, professional photographer. We ensure individual instruction by limiting the group size to six participants. Our focus (get the pun ;-) is three-fold:
- Learn how to use your digital camera (by taking the camera off auto mode)
- Create compelling compositions
- Develop a photographic awareness and vision
Who should attend:
From beginner to advanced hobbyists, any photographer will have a great learning experience on our photo safaris. Professional photographers visiting from other areas will appreciate the time-saving site scouting we have done at each location. Living on Mount Desert Island and having local knowledge of the area, I know where the best pictures are!
Is hiking involved:
Yes, there will be small hikes with many stops along the way. Expect to walk about one mile in total. Please wear sturdy footware, as we'll be on trails and crossing over rocks.
For our Sunset Cruise Safari there is no hiking, just enjoying a boat tour exploring and photographing the nearby islands and marine wildlife as the sun sets.
What are some of the topics covered:
Using your camera:
- Camera settings: focus points, ISO, white balance, exposure compensation
- Understand the relationship between F-stops and shutter speeds
- Evaluating your histogram for proper exposure
- Controlling depth-of-field – infinite vs shallow focus
- Rule of thirds
- Leading lines
- Foregrounds and backgrounds
- Changing your perspective
- Working the subject
- Framing the image before taking the shot
- Reviewing and critiquing images on location
- Looking behind you!
What is your Cancellation Policy:
'No Show' or 'Last Minute' cancellation will not be offered a refund. Please call us at 207-318-3402 if you run into an issue - life happens and we understand. We will do our best to work with you to reschedule your safari or refund your money. Requests should be made as soon as possible, early cancellations will incur a 10% booking fee.
WEATHER CANCELLATION POLICY:
- Weather cancellations will not be made until the start of the safari.
- Please dress appropriately for predicted weather.
- If the safari is cancelled due to weather, we will reschedule or offer a refund.
- It's often said: "Bad weather makes good pictures."
Do you sell gift certificates:
We sure do, just click on the big green box below labeled 'Purchase Gift Certificate'. The wonderful thing is these gift certificates never expire!